Channel Islands Sportfishing Whoppers of the Week
1) Cody Rogers from Oxnard caught a 36lb Halibut on an overnight trip aboard the Pacific Islander.
2) Jack Hackney from Ventura caught a 38lb White Seabass on an overnight trip aboard the Pacific Islander.
3) Wayne Berg from Newberry Park caught a 22lb Sheephead on a full day trip aboard the Sea Jay.
4) Mary Thompson from Oxnard caught a 26lb Yellowtail on an overnight trip aboard the Mirage.
5) Jaredd Galloway from Thousand Oaks caught a 35lb Yellowtail on an overnight trip aboard the Mirage.
6) John Lee from Oxnard caught a 31lb Lingcod on a 3/4 day trip aboard the Gentleman.
Channel Islands Sportfishing Report
Another great week of fishing the Channel Islands in some unusually tropical weather. Muggy and hot with scattered thunder and lighting made fishing interesting over the weekend. The ocean however was a sheet of glass all the way to the islands. Boats go to take there pick of any fishing spot so we got to explore locations that hadn’t been seen in a while like Santa Barbara Island and San Nicolas Island. Anglers in search of Yellowtail were treated to some great bites late in the week. Overnight trips have had the biggest scores at the outer islands, but local boats have had their fair share of big game too. Besides Yellowtail, there have still been some White Seabass and Halibut caught. Also, Barracuda and Bonito are keeping anglers busy in between bites. Bottom fishing has been a good backup especially for big Sheephead at Santa Cruz Island. The live bait we have now is a great mix of sardine and monster anchovy. Some mackerel is also in the wells. No live squid in the bait wells here at the landing but some of the boats are making it on the water and keeping it in their tanks.
Everyone is fishing shallow, so if your looking to book a trip soon be prepared to using egg sinkers and small torpedo weights for the most part. Bring your heavy torpedo just in case, but almost everyone is fishing less than 100 feet of water.
For information, call us at 805-382-1612. For Reservations you can call or book online! Channel Islands Sportfishing Schedule and Online booking.